Port Melbourne Colts Under 15 Girls (pictured), can make their way through the participation pathway to the SMJFL Youth Girls competition. Posted in Featured News , Female Football , Front Page News

By Jarryd McGuane


At Centenary Park Oval 1, St Peters inflicted the first defeat upon St Bedes/Mentone by nine points. St Bedes/Mentone started the stronger of the two sides, running out to a 10-point lead at quarter time. The Tigers would lose control in the second quarter as St Peters held them scoreless adding two goals of their own to lead by five points at the major change. The third would side the tide turn once again as St Bedes/Mentone held St Peters scoreless as they added one goal to lead by two points at the final change. But the Tigers could not kick away like they normally do as St Peters kicked three final quarter goals to St Bedes/Mentone single goal to give them the nine-point victory. Isabel Quintal with three and Kate Holden were the multiple goal kickers for St Peters. Maddison Wilson maintained her magnificent form with three goals for St Bedes/Mentone.


Brighton Beach claimed their second victory of the year, as Bentleigh remain win-less as they fell to the Kangaroos by nine points at Brighton Beach Oval. Bentleigh would start faster of the two sides as their 2.0 to Brighton Beach’s 1.2 to lead by four points at quarter time. The Kangaroos would gain dominance in the second quarter as they would hold the Saints to two points as they added 3.1 themselves to turn the four-point deficit into a 13-point half time lead. Bentleigh came back after half time firing as they held Brighton Beach scoreless and would close the 13-point gap to have both sides level at 4.3.27 at the final change. Brighton Beach would steady and hold off the admirable Saints by nine points. All of Bentleigh’s goal kickers put through one goal each.


Highett looked for an upset victory as they hosted Prahran, and the home side started well, taking an early lead at the first break. However, they were held goalless in the second quarter, as Prahran kicked in to gear and turned the quarter-time deficit into a 9 point lead at half time. They limited Highett’s scoring shots in the second half and stretched out their lead steadily, taking a 16 point advantage into the final break. Highett showed great heart until the end, keeping Prahran to one goal in the last quarter, but the visitors were too strong, and claimed an 18 point win, 6.8.44 to 4.2.26. Polly Green kicked two important goals to help her side keep pace with St Peters FC in the hunt for second spot on the ladder.


Unfortunately East Brighton forfeitted this match, handing the four points to Beaumaris.