Under 15 Girls in action. Posted in Featured News , Female Football , Front Page News , Weekend Wraps

By Jarryd McGuane

Round 12 saw two tight matches, with one of the top three sides surviving a near upset by the strength of their last quarter.


St Bedes/Mentone returned to the winners list as they came from behind to defeat East Brighton by 12 points at Mentone Reserve. East Brighton started the game at a fast pace and jumped out to a 15-point quarter time lead. This awoke the Tigers, who would go on to hold the Vampires goalless and adding three of their own to lead by two points at the major break. East Brighton then took their turn to hold the dominance of the ball, holding St Bedes/Mentone scoreless allowing the Vampires to take a 14-point lead into the last quarter. It wasn’t enough as the Tigers finally took control in the last quarter and their 4.2 to 0.0 for East Brighton proved the difference as the siren went with St Bedes/Mentone 12 points ahead. Jemma Owen was the major goal kicker for St Bedes/Mentone with four.


At Jack Barker Oval, St Peters held on to their top position on the ladder as they defeated Beaumaris by 67 points. Beaumaris did get on the scoreboard with 1.2 but allowed 3.1 for St Peters to trail by 11 points at quarter time. The lead would balloon in the second quarter as St Peters added four more goals to no score for the Sharks, and would lead by 39 points at the half time break. Sadly for Beaumaris, they would not score in the second half allowing St Peters to lead by 52 points at three quarter time and claimed the 67-point victory at full time. Isabel Quintal was again the leading goal kicker for St Peters with three goals.


At Highett Reserve, a spirited last quarter was not enough for Bentleigh as they fell 18 points short against Highett. It looked good for Highett in the first quarter as they jumped out to a 25-point lead without Bentleigh hitting the scoreboard. But the Saints worked their way into the game as reduced the margin to ten points by half time. The Bulldogs took control once again and a scoreless quarter from Bentleigh gave them a safe looking 24-point margin. Despite the game looking beyond doubt, Bentleigh won the last quarter but failed to reduce the margin to less than 18 points. Sofi Georgas was Bentleigh’s leading goal kicker with two.


A slow first half at Brighton Beach Oval opened up in the second half as Prahran defeated Brighton Beach by 48 points. The first quarter would see no goals, as a single behind for Prahran being the difference. Both sides would get a goal each in the second quarter as again an extra Prahran behind extended the lead by a further point to two points. The Kangaroos would be held by Prahran to two behinds for the final two quarters, seeing the deficit pushed to 13 points at three quarter time and finally out to 48 points at the final siren. Holly Bate was the only multiple goal kicker for Prahran with two goals.