Posted in Featured News , Female Football , Front Page News , Weekend Wraps

It was the penultimate weekend of the season for our top age girls and boys competitions, and the last chance for teams to qualify for this Sunday’s Grand Finals.



By Jarryd McGuane

The three remaining sides became two this week as the SMJFL Preliminary Final took place on Sunday featuring a tight affair between two sides that both had time on top of the ladder this year.

St Peters vs St Bedes/Mentone

St Peters will meet Prahran in the SMJFL Youth Girls Grand Final as they defeated St Bedes/Mentone Tigers in the Preliminary Final by 11 points at Packer Park. The two sides have played in two tight matches in the regular season and this match started in a similar fashion. Both sides kicked one major in the first quarter, with St Peters taking a two-point lead into the first change. But St Peters would take control of the match in the next two quarters as they would win the second quarter one goal to none and the third to one to lead by nine points at half time and 22 points at three quarter time respectively. The Tigers roared home in the last with three goals, but a steadying goal for St Peters secured their place in the Grand Final. Bella Lignos was the leading goal kicker for St Peters with three goals.



By Will Hunter

DIVISION 1: Mordialloc-Braeside V Ormond

Ormond have won through to the Division 1 Grand Final after a comprehensive 47-point triumph over Mordi-Brae in their Preliminary Final clash at Boss James Reserve.

Despite going into as underdogs, this was a match the Monders had in their control from the get go. They surprised the Mustangs with their early ferocity at the contest, and with their midfield winning plenty of the pill, Ormond were able to score four majors in the opening stanza to claim a 20-point lead at the first change.

It proved to be a decisive advantage as Mordi-Brae dug deep in the second term. However, their efforts were to no avail as they could make no inroads into the deficit, which stood at 21 at the long break.

From there it was one way traffic, as Ormond again lifted a gear, and their six-goal-to-two second half saw off the Mordi challenge.

Howard Persson and Dylan Stewart were the standouts for the victorious Monders, with Ulysses Urban and Sam Sofronidis getting amongst the goals with two each.

Ormond will now play minor premier Beaumaris in the Grand Final at Springvale Reserve, while Mordi-Brae’s gallant season comes to an end.


DIVISION 2: St Bedes/Mentone Tigers V Hampton Rovers/East Sandringham

It will be an East Malvern V St Bedes/Mentone Grand Final nest Sunday after the Tigers eclipsed Hampton Rovers/East Sandingham by 46 points at Boss James Reserve.

The two sides traded goals in a tight, tit-for-tat battle for the first three quarters, with neither side able to ascertain a decisive advantage. At three quarter time the margin stood at just two points in the Tigers favour, and none of the previous two break saw a difference of more than a goal.

But it was all one-way traffic in the final term as St Bedes put their foot to the floor, piling on seven unanswered goals to romp home in a canter. The Rovers’ hard work in the first three quarters was underdone as they simply had no answers for the Tiger’s dominance.

Mitchell Arthur, Lachlan Willey and Christian Harris did the damage on the scoreboard for the winners, with each booted two goals.

Dillon Melnjak (two goals) was Hampton/East Sandy’s best.


DIVISION 3: Beaumaris V Ormond

The Division 3 Preliminary Final went down to the wire, with Beaumaris defeating Ormond by just nine points at Toorak Park.

The Monders looked the better side for much of the second half, and were slender leaders at both quarter time (by four points) and half time (by five points).

But the Sharks gained the ascendancy in the premiership quarter, booting four goals to Ormond’s one to surge into the ahead by 14 points at the final change. It was a lead they never relinquished.

Harrison Spencer and Lachlan Moorhouse contributed eight of the Sharks’ 10 goals for the day, while Scott Gordon and Ben Northey finished with two each for Ormond.