Posted in Featured News , Front Page News , Weekend Wraps

By Jake Benoiton


There were some close contests in the McDonald’s Division 1 Under 17 competition. We kick off with a look at the Ormond versus Cheltenham match.

Ormond dominated the first half at Le Page Park, skipping away to a 28-point lead at the main break. But a scoreless third quarter to the visitors allowed the Panthers to take a narrow one-point lead at the last change. A two goal to one final term however allowed Ormond to clinch a close one.

Bailey Troeth was best on ground, kicking three important goals to lead his side to victory.

In another close contest, Murrumbeena just nipped South Melbourne at the post to secure a five-point victory at Murrumbeena Park.

An extremely close first half closed with only a point the difference and the game didn’t open up much more with both sides scoring the same amount of goals in each quarter.

Harry Gustin bagged four for South Melbourne who were incredibly gallant in defeat.

Charlie Bird was best on ground for Beena while Jarryd Raffa and Tyson Carter slotted two goals each.

The final game saw Mordialloc-Braeside awarded the four points following Beaumaris’ forfeit.



In Division 2, we saw a far less competitive round with some big scores right across all three games.

Five goals from Mitchell Hughes led St Paul’s McKinnon to a 78-point win over Ajax at McKinnon Reserve.

Ajax did have a good last quarter, however, kicking five goals. Ward Williams was their best goal scorer with four.

Over at Mentone Reserve, St Bedes/Mentone were just far too good for St Peters Bentleigh Demons on the day, racking up a monster 148-point win. Tom Denny and Christopher Chamberlain combined for 11 goals for the victors.

Meanwhile, a nine-goal-to-two second half helped East Malvern register a 75-point win over Hampton Rovers at DW Lucas Oval. Trent Shannon and Edward Ralph bagging six and five respectively in the Knights’ victory.



In Division 3, a dominant first half led Dingley to a comfortable 49-point win at Souter Oval over Beaumaris, who never recovered from a slow start.

Ormond held off a spirited Cheltenham side who spent most of the last quarter trying to peg back the deficit. But they just couldn’t capitalise on their chances, allowing Ormond to run out winners by 12 points at E.E. Gunn Reserve.

In the division’s game of the round, St Bedes/Mentone just got home by under a goal against Waverly Park at Columbia Park. Despite a terrific second half comeback, the Hawks fell just short as the Tigers recorded a five-point win.