By Ben Pollard
With the Under 13 interleague carnival coming up at McKinnon Reserve this Sunday, it’s time for another special edition of the weekly SMJFL wrap… Let’s take a look at how some of the SMJFL’s talented Under 13 representatives fared in Round 8 on the weekend:
– You would expect a battle between the top two teams in U13 Div 1 to be jam-packed with talent, and yep, players from East Sandringham (seven) and St Kilda City (six) make up a fair chunk of the U13 interleague squad… Strong second and third quarters from the Zebras set up a seven-point victory, which keeps them undefeated and on top of the ladder. Their Div 1 interleague players Connor Murphy, Liam Daniels-Morley, Ben King and Max King have been important in their brilliant run, while they also have the Div 2 team’s captain Adam Ball.
– Beaumaris had a strong win in U13 Div 1 over Cheltenham, with interleague players Dawit McNeish (Div 1) and Jamie Kokoras (Div 2) both hitting the scoreboard with a goal apiece. The Sharks also boast strong leadership, with one of the Div 1 team’s vice-captains Harry Houlahan in their ranks.
– U13 Div 1’s Waverley Park was irresistable in the last quarter against Mordialloc Braeside, slamming on six goals to one to run away with a 49-point victory. And when it comes to scoring, the Hawks have a three-pronged Jack Attack on their side… Jack Ross (interleague Div 1) kicked two goals in the win, Jack Sullivan (Div 2) also bagged two and Jackson Dean (Div 2) snagged a major of his own.
– Great contest between East Malvern and East Brighton in U13 Div 1! The Vampires challenged throughout, but the Knights were too strong when it mattered, slotting the only three goals of the final term to secure a 22-point win. Their best was Bailey Smith – the Div 1 interleague team’s captain – who was inspirational in guiding his team home with three goals. Tom Miller (interleague Div 2) was also crucial for the victors, while Tim Barbakos (Div 1) and Sam Forbes (Div 2) were brave in defeat for the Vampires.
– Lloyd Bailey starred for St Bedes/Mentone in the Tigers impressive 36-point triumph over Ormond in U13 Div 2. Lloyd will be looking to back that performance up as a member of the Div 2 interleague team this Sunday…
– Prahran Red rules the roost in U13 Div 2 at the moment and it’s in no small part due to James Rowbottom, who was superb in their victory over Ajax Comets on the weekend. James will take the field for the Div 1 interleague team on Sunday along with Ajax’s Adam Ossip, who was one of the Comets’ best in defeat.
– Murrumbeena Gold seems to be the only team chasing Prahran in U13 Div 2 at the moment, only half a game behind the ladder leaders and two games clear of the third-placed St Bedes/Mentone. Beena’s only interleaguer Lachlan Noone (Div 1) scored one of his team’s two goals in a low-scoring, slogging win over St Pauls.
– Bentleigh kept their undefeated season alive in U13 Div 3, but boy, East Sandringham 2 made it tough for them… The Demons found the only goal of the final term to sneak home by three points, with their sole interleague rep Hugo Ferdinand (Div 2) one of the stars.
– Zane Waters was huge for Dingley Black as the Dingoes overwhelmed St Peters in U13 Div 3. Zane will back up for the Div 1 interleague team and with a brilliant footy player’s name, will surely acquit himself well!
The SMJFL wishes all its U13 interleague representatives the best of luck for Sunday’s carnival and encourages everyone to get down to McKinnon Reserve to show your support for the South Metro boys!
* There will be no photos posted to the Photo Gallery this week, as the SMJFL’s photographer was unavailable for Round 8. Photos will return for Round 9.