By Ben Pollard
– A brilliant final quarter display saw Caulfield Bears chalk up their first win of 2013 against St Bedes/Mentone Tigers in Under 14 Div 3. The Tigers savaged the Bears in the third quarter to lead by 19 points heading into the final term but Caulfield responded with five goals to two, scrapping their way to an epic two-point triumph. Christopher Kaplandjian was important for the winners with three goals.
– Two of the form teams of Under 15 Div 1 squared off on Sunday, with Murrumbeena Gold pulling off a final-quarter comeback from 13 points down against East Malvern Blue. Matthew Foley was a star for ‘Beena, while Dimitri Fasoulis booted a lazy six snags!
– We’ve seen many times in the AFL this year that when teams allow their opposition a fast start, it makes life very difficult… Well, Under 13 Div 1’s East Malvern would know that feeling. East Sandringham had four goals on the board before the Knights had even scored! East Malvern then outscored the division leaders after quarter-time, but still lost by two goals. As they say, you’ve gotta ‘come to play’!
– More East Malvern heartbreak in Under 16 Div 2, with the Knights forgetting to bring their kicking boots… East Malvern Blue squandered chances in front of goal, losing by four points despite eight extra scoring shots. On the other hand, efficient St Peters players such as Julien Khoury, Jarrod Munday and Matthew Kurtis helped secure their fifth straight win of the season.
– Highett is blitzing their way through Under 12 West with the help of young Cameron Blitsas. Cam kicked two goals and was in the Doggies’ best in their 15-point win over Hampton 1, their sixth victory from six games. Cameron Taylor, Mitchell Barlow and Austin Johnson were also instrumental in Sunday’s Bulldog blitz.
– As most one-point games are, the Under 13 Div 3 match between Beaumaris Great Whites and South Melbourne District was a cracker! The Great Whites again proved that good kicking is good football, with their 7.1 (43) accurate enough to beat South Melbourne’s 6.6 (42). Ari Zigouras was a key for the Sharks with two of those majors.
– Under 14 Div 2’s Cheltenham Milicia bagged their first win of the season in tight circumstances against Prahran. Chelt always had more scoring shots on the board, but their inaccuracy meant Prahran stayed in the hunt… However, Jack Dunn (four crucial goals), Nicholas Walliser and Anthony Malamas stepped up for the victors to guide them to a well-earned five-point win.
And of course, the Girls:
– There were some fantastic performances from the youngsters in Under 10 Girls on the weekend… Anna Sutcliffe and Mikayla Watson were fantastic in front of goal for East Sandringham, while Holly McAlroy, Annie Elias and Lauren Piliar all shone for St Peters Red.
– St Peters has some real girl power going at the moment – the club’s Under 15 Girls team hasn’t been beaten this season and looked strong against Highett in Round 6. Priyanka Francis, Brittney Seccull and Grace Perriam are just some of the stars in the ranks down at Centenary Park!
* There will be no photos posted to the Photo Gallery this week, as the SMJFL’s photographer was unavailable for Round 6. Photos will return next week.