By Ben Pollard
Round 4 was the last week before regrading takes place in the SMJFL. Let’s have a look at some of the weekend’s big happenings:
– The Beaumaris Great Whites were indeed great in Radiant Under 11 West this past week. After trailing by a point at three-quarter time, they kicked three big goals in the final term to win a low-scoring encounter with Hampton.
– Those sharks weren’t alone though: In Radiant Under 11 South, the Beaumaris Hammerheads were also hungry for victory, circling their prey before moving in for the kill against Mordialloc-Braeside Red.
– Very competitive match in Radiant Under 11 Blue, with South Melbourne Red rebounding from a scoreless first quarter and taking it right up to Ajax Stars, but falling 12 points short. Reuben Grunfeld was terrific for the winners and Isaac Wise bagged three goals.
– What a cracker in Under 12 East between Waverley Park Gold and St Kilda City Black. Not a lot separated the teams all game, but Waverley Park snuck home by seven points. Brave victory, guys.
– Under 12 South had it all on the weekend. Having kicked just eight behinds all day, Murrumbeena Maroon kicked 4.2 (26) in the final quarter against Highett… Only to fall one point short. Different story for South Melbourne, who stormed home to come from behind against Prahran Blue. To cap the day off, St Pauls and Oakleigh drew!
– A low-scoring struggle in Under 13 Division 1 saw East Sandringham kick just eight behinds after half time but still hold on against East Brighton Vampires. Charles Constable was great for Sandy.
– Talk about sharing the love! Ajax Comets kicked 12 goals in Under 13 Division 2… All from different players!
– How about this for an Under 14 Division 2 ripper: Cheltenham bounced out of the gates against Waverley Park, but found themselves nine points down at three-quarter time. Not done with yet, they came home with a wet sail to win by five on the back of great games from Connor Haire and Tom Davis.
– Cheltenham tops the table in Under 15 Division 1 as the only undefeated side, following a strong 20-point win over East Sandringham.
– Hope we’re reading the Under 16 Division 1 results properly! Two teams put in amazing final quarter efforts to cruise to victory: East Brighton Vampires kicked 10.4 (64) in the last term to beat Hampton, while Ormond booted 8.3 (51) to put Ajax Comets to the sword.
– Liked the effort of St Peters in Under 16 Division 2. They trailed Waverley Park all day and were down by 11 at the final change, but kicked 6.5 (41) and kept their opponents scoreless in the last quarter to emerge victorious. Take a bow Thomas Still – best-on-ground, with three goals to match.
– St Bedes Mentone Tigers Red were superb in Under 17 Premier, holding Bentleigh scoreless in the final quarter while kicking five goals of their own to come from behind and win. Waverley Park hit top gear when it mattered, steamrolling Highett in the last term to win by 51 – Rhys Clayton starred for the victors. Meanwhile, Cheltenham, South Melbourne District and Ormond continued on their winning ways to remain the division’s only undefeated teams.