By Ben Pollard
– There must have been some sort of breeze at the Under 11 East match between East Sandringham and Beaumaris Sharks… All 11 goals and nine behinds were scored to one end of the field! This match was an absolute cracker, though: Having scored only 15 points in three quarters and down by 19 at the final change, the Sharks swarmed in numbers, booting four goals to nothing to record a remarkable seven-point victory.
– How do Ormond remain undefeated in Under 15 Div 4?! True grit, that’s how! 19 points down at three-quarter time, they held St Bedes/Mentone Tigers scoreless and won by a point. Louis Phillips’ three goals and Jack Bodsworth’s superb game were key factors in the victory.
– Under 13 Div 4’s Ormond would’ve been hurting after their match with Mordialloc Braeside Red… 18-point three-quarter time lead… Five extra scoring shots… Result? Draw.
– Ajax put some heartbreak on Under 14 Div 1 opponent Mt Waverley. Down by eight points at the last change, they pulled out a huge final quarter performance to snatch the win by one point. Nicholas Herskope was brilliant for the victors, while Daniel West’s five goals in defeat for the Falcons was a tremendous effort.
– Great tight game between Hampton and Prahran Blue in Under 12 South. With barely anything separating the well-matched teams all day, it took a special final quarter for Hampton to draw away from a gallant Prahran by 29 points. Mackenzie Gregson, Timothy Syme and Frank Gustav Morris were super for the Rovers, while Oscar Dunning booted three goals.
– Two ripping finishes in Under 13 Div 1, with East Brighton Vampires and East Malvern Knights almost blowing decent three-quarter time leads… The Vamps, led by Max Milnes and Timothy Barbakos, just overcame the surging Cheltenham Panthers to score their first victory of the season, while East Malvern barely avoided a heartbreaking defeat to Mordialloc Braeside. Bailey Smith and Alastair Richards helped steady the Knights’ sinking ship.
– 11 goals for East Brighton Vampire Alex Mastromanno in an Under 15 Div 1 win on Sunday… Alex doesn’t seem to mind a sausage roll from time to time.
– Dylan Atkins was instrumental in keeping Mordialloc Braeside White’s undefeated start to the year alive in Under 16 Div 1. The Mustangs nearly blew a handy lead against Murrumbeena Gold, but Dylan’s four goals were crucial in the five-point triumph.
– The Narre North Foxes have now strung together two wins in Under 17 Div 2. Matthew Dean’s five goals was the cherry on top of a big win over Ajax, which has given the Foxes a pretty nice start to their time in the SMJFL!
And of course, the Girls:
– The SMJFL welcomed Mt Waverley into the Under 15 Girls competition this weekend, but the Falcons weren’t able to fly against Mordialloc Braeside, who chalked up their first win of the season. Lauren Field, with six super goals, was their best.
– We have to mention the Under 12 Girls match – sorry, derby – between East Malvern Red and Blue… These Knights (Knightettes?) put on a show for the East Malvernites in attendance. Blue got the win by two points, but this joust was a ripper all game long!