By Ben Pollard
– Amazing stuff from Brighton Beach in U11 West! With five fewer wins on the board than their opponents Cheltenham Howell and a 25-point deficit at three-quarter time (having only kicked one behind to that point!), the Kangaroos somehow booted four goals in the last term to run over the top of the Panthers by two points… Epic!
– Impressive underdog comeback victory from Mordialloc-Braeside Red over St Peters in U17 Div 2… Despite trailing by at least 15 points at every change, the Mustangs – led by huge performances from Bailey Dillon (two goals) and Harrison Michaelis – saved their best for last, sneaking home by a goal!
– Gee, South Melbourne White may have been underdogs against Dingley Black in U12 South (10th on the ladder versus third), but they sure took it to the Dingoes all day… Things were even at halftime before Dingley asserted itself with three goals to nothing in the third quarter, but the Bloods refused to lie down, getting to within three points at the final bell. Montgomery Herbert-Morgan and Will Bainbridge played great games for South Melbourne but the Dingoes ensured it was a heartbreaking result for them.
– What an effort from Ormond’s William Kervin in U11 North… His team scored their first win of the year against Oakleigh and it was in no small part due to Will’s brilliant five-goal performance. Heroic stuff!
– Northvale have the elusive undefeated season alive after a 13th consecutive victory in U13 Div 4! The stars of their latest weekend conquest of Beaumaris Black Tails were Mamath Tey, Connor Wright, Lachlan Cabello with three snags and Kang Nyoak with two.
– A massive clash of a different kind… U14 Div 4 teams East Brighton Vampires (one win for the year) and Mordialloc-Braeside (no wins for the year) met on Sunday in a desperate battle and the Mustangs emerged with that big first victory of 2013! It was a handsome margin too – 56 points – and some of the heroes were Laurence Hudson, Spencer Luscombe and Thomas O’Hehir with five goals. Celebration time down at Mordi!
– It appears to be a race in two for the U15 Div 2 title… Both Hampton and Mordialloc-Braeside are five wins clear on top of the ladder with just a couple of home-and-away games to play. Hampton’s impressive weekend win over Prahran was spurred by six snags to Hamish Brayshaw, while Tim Taranto and Tom Jenkins played big roles in the Mustangs’ big win over Northvale. Look out for these two heavyweights come finals time!
– Some big bags kicked in U16 Div 2 this week – East Malvern Blue’s George Manton scored seven in the Knights’ big win St Peters, but that might just be topped by the 10 goals Corey Rich booted for East Sandringham… Better still, Corey’s haul helped the Zebs (with a 3-9 record) topple the ladder-leading Ajax by a lazy 40 points!
And of course, the Girls:
– It’s finals time in the U15 Girls division and St Peters and East Brighton Vampirettes began their campaigns in the best possible fashion, keeping their opponents (East Sandringham and Highett, respectively) scoreless on the way to qualifying final victories. They’ve now earned a week off, but East Sandy must recover for a semi final against Waverley Park Hawks (who defeated Mt Waverley Falcons in an elimination final), while Highett needs to back up against Mordialloc-Braeside this week, after the Mustangs defeated Ajax Jackettes in the other eliminator.