By Ben Pollard
– What a brilliant way for U13 Div 1’s Cheltenham Panthers to chalk up their first win of the season – the Panthers were eight points down against East Brighton Vampires at three-quarter time, but stormed home with four goals to one in the last term to secure that elusive victory! Thomas Morecroft kicked three snags, while Adam Dingli and Yael Hoorman were superb for the winners. Post-match celebrations would’ve been something special…
– Second and third on the U14 Div 3 ladder faced off as Murrumbeena Gold met Bentleigh in a crucial match-up. Holding a narrow lead for most of the match, Bentleigh had a big chance to go one and a half games clear of ‘Beena in second, but got overran in the last quarter by four points… That’s a heartbreaker. Murrumbeena are now into second and it was their Brasher-Raffa combination that helped get them there – Jordan Brasher and Jarryd Raffa bagged four goals apiece.
– We love a good top of the table stoush… U11 South’s East Malvern White hadn’t lost a game before Saturday when they ran into St Kilda City Red (which had only lost once). As is often the case, it was the ‘premiership quarter’ that proved the difference – the Saints booted six goals to two in the third term to set up a 29-point win. Jordie Gray (four goals) and Roman Anastasios (three) were just heavenly in front of goal.
– Now, while there’s definitely no such thing as a one-man team in football, we have to acknowledge Jack Mahony’s effort for East Malvern Blue in U12 East… Jack kicked all six of the Knights’ goals as they defeated Mordialloc-Braeside by 20 points!
– At risk of going the early crow, two U15 teams have stamped some authority on their respective divisions… East Brighton Vampires faced East Malvern Blue for top spot in U15 Div 1 and if you were expecting the contest to be a thriller, the Vampires sucked the life out of things! Victors by 38 points, East Brighton’s stars were Tom Wallace, Jesse Maxfield and Alex Mastromanno with five goals. Meanwhile, Waverley Park met fellow undefeated team St Pauls to sort things out in U15 Div 3 and promptly dispatched their rival by 49 points! Jack Robertson slotted four majors and Alex Muir played a ripper for the mighty fighting Hawks.
– St Pauls are sure playing like the dominant team in U16 Div 3, piling on 6.3 (39) to nothing in the first quarter to put away Mt Waverley Falcons. With Jake Halasz kicking five snags, and Jack Fogarty and Dominic Bowes tearing it up, St Pauls are now two games clear on top of the ladder!
– It was a win for cooperation when five different SMJFL clubs came together for one U17s match on Sunday, as Waverley Park/Northvale clashed with St Pauls/Bentleigh/Murrumbeena in U17 Div 2. Both teams were also being cooperative on the scoreboard, at least until three-quarter time… With the game level at the last break, WP/N brought home a 13-point victory in style. Got Lok was their best, while Declan Fowler and Daniel Halabut shared four goals each.
And of course, the Girls:
– There was no girls’ footy this week, but let’s give them a mention for AFL Women’s Round anyway… Stay strong until footy starts again in two weeks, girls!