By Ben Pollard
– St Pauls bided their time for three quarters in their U11 North clash with Mt Waverley, then they brought the doom on their opponents! And it was Max Van Doom who led the way as his team came from a goal down at the last change, booting five straight goals to nothing in the final term…
– Ajax pulled off a Houdini trick in U16 Div 2 against St Peters. In a very important game, Ajax (with a record of 8-1) gave St Peters (7-1) an 11-point headstart at three-quarter time and still got up by a point. St Peters would be filthy that they had four more scoring shots, but that doesn’t take away from the performances of Joshua Baron, Benjamin Kingston and Matthew Levy (four goals) for the victors…
– Beaumaris Hammerheads (2-7) almost caused a massive upset in U12 Blue, falling just a goal short of ladder leaders St Kilda City Red (8-1) in a low-scoring slog. The teams had only a goal apiece at three-quarter time, so just one clutch goal in the final term would have been the difference… And the Saints got it. Elijah McMeekin and Dylan Harrison-Smith were their goalkickers as Beauy was left to rue the one that got away.
– At the final break, the Caulfield Bears of U15 Div 4 were on their way to knocking off the team just above them in third on the ladder, Oakleigh. A 21-point advantage should’ve been enough, right? Well, the Dragons stormed home with four goals to one in the last quarter to draw the game… Heartbreaking for Bears like James Bailey (three goals) who had helped set up the team so well for victory.
– A couple of top of the table clashes in U11 West have only muddied the waters in terms of which team will take out this division… St Kilda City Black – on the back of three Zac Murphy goals – took care of another team with seven wins on the board, Prahran Blue. Meanwhile, St Peters joined Dingley Black on eight wins after defeating them by 26 points on Sunday, with Tom Johnson and Tim Russo starring. St Kilda, St Peters and Dingley now share top spot – who will eventually come out on top?
– A see-sawing thriller in U13 Div 2… Ormond may be sitting on the bottom rung of the division ladder, but they showed plenty of pluck to defeat Ajax Comets by a solitary point! No team ever had true control of this one with the lead changing several times, but luckily Ormond had players like Liam Eldering, Charles Furphy and Claude Elsasser to guide it through.
– The South Melbourne Under 14s are travelling fairly well at the moment… The undefeated White team is dominating U14 Div 2, with Max Capp’s great game helping defeat Cheltenham Milicia by 24 points on Sunday. Meanwhile, South Melbourne Red tops the U14 Div 4 ladder, with their big victory over Mordi-Brae punctuated by Jonathon Green’s eight goals!
And of course, the Girls:
– Two U15 Girls teams desperate for their first win of the season played out a thriller on the weekend… The Ajax Jackettes had the lion’s share of scoring opportunities, but could never quite put away the brave Mt Waverley Falcons. Luckily for the Jackettes, their inaccurate scoreline of 2.12 (24) was just enough to scrape home against 3.2 (20). Zali Altman, Cassandra Friedman and Ieva Guoga were instrumental in sealing that first sweet victory of 2013!