By Ben Pollard
What a great time of year! SMJFL footy’s back and there are plenty of stories to wrap up from the first week of the season. Let’s take a look at the Round 1 action:
– The Waverley Park Under 15 Div 3 team like to save the best for last… When you’ve kicked 3.9 (27) in three quarters, scoring 6.7 (43) in the final term is epic! Waverley shocked St Peters, who were leading by 14 at the last change, but lost by 22.
– A comeback nearly completed, but not quite… Beaumaris Sharks were sinking the teeth into Dingley from early on in their Under 17 Div 1 clash, dominating by 33 points at half time. After wastefully kicking 1.7 (13) in the first half, the Dingoes piled on an inaccurate 6.11 (47) to 2.6 (18) in a huge second half, but fell agonisingly short by four points. You hear it all the time: Bad goalkicking is bad football, people!
– Ajax Comets gave Prahran Red a 21-point headstart leading into the final quarter of their Under 13 Div 2 clash, and nearly – NEARLY – got there. A one-point lead was all Prahran had left to cling on to when the final siren blew…
– Six more scoring shots than your opponents should usually ensure you victory, but not for Under 16 Div 3’s Murrumbeena Maroon. ‘Beena was spraying them like Travis Cloke, losing to St Pauls with a score of 6.22 (58) to 9.13 (67). I think we know what’s on the agenda at training this week…
– When the game’s in the balance, the heroes step up… Just one point separated East Brighton Vampires and Prahran Black at three-quarter time in their Under 11 South match on Sunday, but then the Vamps went on a rampage. 3.5 (23) to nothing in the final term secured the victory, with Nicholas Salmon, Max Post and Blake Oliver the stars.
– Speaking of feeding frenzies, we had a Vampire Derby in Under 12 East! East Brighton Red and East Brighton White were level at the last change, before the Reds drew away when it mattered to win by 14 points. Sam Squires’ two goals were crucial for the victors, while Fischer McAsey (also with two majors) was brave for the Whites in defeat.
– Just the casual 11 goals for Dingley Black’s Mason Goldin in Under 14 Div 2…
– Take a bow, Murrumbeena Gold’s Under 15 Div 1 goalkickers: Samuel Michael (three majors), Dimitri Fasoulis (four) and Harrison Campbell (four) were all instrumental in dragging their team over the line in a tight one against Ajax Jets.
And of course, the Girls:
– Drama galore in the Under 15s this week, with Mordialloc-Braeside and Highett playing out a thrilling draw. The girls’ competitiveness and skills were a highlight, and maybe – just maybe – a draw was a deserved result for both teams…
– Monsters have been unleashed on the SMJFL… The Under 15 East Brighton Vampirettes proved they’re no less fearsome than their male counterparts by defeating the brave East Sandringham girls by 10 points. Another ‘scarily’ good contest in a big first week of season 2013!
* Please be advised that Round 1 photos, courtesy of Photogenix, are now in the ‘Photo gallery’ under the ‘Media’ tab at the top of the page.
To view the full range of photos taken from Banksia Reserve and Boss James Reserve on Sunday, please visit www.photogenixsports.com.au.