Posted in Featured News , Front Page News , Monash University Monday Review

There was plenty of entertaining football played across the league on Sunday under grey skies. Some teams continued their good early-season form and others went about registering their first points of 2019.

Here’s the Monday Monash Review for Round 3, brought to you by Monash University.

Under 18 Girls

East Malvern remains undefeated at the top of the ladder in the Under 18 Girls competition after a strong showing against the previously undefeated Beaumaris. The first term was an arm-wrestle with neither team registering a score, but the Knights worked their way on top and eventually prevailed by 29 points at Darling Park.

Mordialloc Braeside chalked up their first win of the season with a 37-point win over Prahran at Gerry Green Reserve. Nine points separated both teams at half time, but the Mustangs kicked away with five second-half goals. Brylie Wilmshurst and Sarah Leitch kicked a couple of goals each for the home side.

East Brighton Vampires (Angus) now sit at 2-1 after three rounds on the back of a 29-point win over St Kilda City. The win was set up by a blistering opening term from the Vampires who kicked four goals to none and took a 27-point lead into the first break, which they then maintained for the rest of the match. Alexandra Baker was one of the stars for the Vampires, booting three goals.

St Peters were the biggest winners of the weekend with a dominant win over East Brighton Vampires (Sherlock). The visitors kicked nine goals to none in the first quarter and although the Vampires slowed the scoring rate for the rest of the game, St Peters ran away handsome winners, finishing with 16.17-113 for the afternoon. Charli Hibbert finished with four majors while Emily Williams, Emma Langley, Carlie Cochrane and Sophie James kicked a couple of goals each.

Hampton Rovers and St Bedes/Mentone Tigers played out a thrilling contest at Boss James Reserve, with the Rovers securing three-point win. The Tigers held a nine-point advantage at the main break, but three second-half goals to the Rovers saw them prevail in a see-sawing affair to take their record to 2-1.

Ashwood won their match against St Paul’s McKinnon by forfeit.

Under 17 Boys Division 1

Mordialloc Braeside remain undefeated and on top of the ladder after three matches with an impressive 37-point win over the previously undefeated St Peters. Six opening quarter goals set the game up for the Mustangs, who maintained their lead for the rest of the afternoon. Jordan Hesline and Corey Barden kicked three apiece for the visitors.

Bentleigh also continued their unbeaten streak as they sunk Beaumaris at Banksia Reserve. A goal was all that separated both teams at quarter time, but the Demons booted eight goals to three for the remainder of the game to take home a 44-point victory. There was an even spread of contributors in attack for the Dees, with eight players hitting the scoreboard.

East Sandringham Rovers caused an upset on the road, defeating St Bedes/Mentone Tigers by four points at Mentone Reserve. The Tigers made the early running and led at quarter time, but the Rovers pulled away with five second quarter goals and held off a late charge from the home side to bank their first points of the season. Thomas Mackie was the focal point for the Rovers with four goals.

Dingley were the biggest winners of Round 3, accounting for Waverley Park Hawks by 94 points. The Dingoes recorded 40 scoring shots in a dominant display and could have won by more if not for some wayward kicking for goal (17.23 for the afternoon). Rory Wallace kicked a bag of five and nine other players also kicked at least one goal for the home side, while Dale Argus kicked three of the Hawks’ five goals.

Under 17 Boys Division 2

Caulfield Bears have maintained their perfect record, beating Mordailloc Braeside by 44 points at Gerry Green Reserve. The first half was a tussle as both sides traded goals, but a burst of eight goals in the third quarter blew the game open for the Bears. Dylan Rawack finished with three majors for Caulfield and Flynn Ellis, Kai Baker-Hill and Ethan Manakis kicked two apiece.

Cheltenham’s record now sits at 2-1 after accounting for Dingley at Le Page Park.  The Panthers had to over come a five-point half time deficit to secure the win, with eight second-half majors proving the difference. Nine Panthers finished with at least one goal, while Joshua O’Neill kicked three for the Dingoes.

St Kilda City remain undefeated from their two fixtures after a 45-point win over Murrumbeena at Peanut Farm. The Saints have conceded the least points of any side that has played two games and that defensive prowess was on display on Sunday as they kept the Lions to four goals for the afternoon. Jordie Gray finished with three goals for the Saints.

Oakleigh had the bye.