Posted in Featured News , Female Football , Front Page News , Weekend Wraps

Round 11 for the Youth Girls competition included a milestone game for St Peters, who had a come from behind win in addition to beating the Division 1 ladder leaders; while St Bedes/Mentone got their second win of the season in a thriller! East Brighton’s Sophia Ribbands had a day out when she booted 3 of the Vampire’s 6 goals, and the Hampton Rovers were able to break away from Oakleigh in the second half of their game to secure their spot at second on the Division 2 ladder.

Here is our weekend wrap:

Divison 1:

St Peters had their best win of the season so far on Sunday, in an incredible effort that included not only a come from behind win, but a triumph against ladder leaders, Brighton Beach. Despite the Kangaroos roaring start, St Peters worked hard from the second term to slow the flow of Brighton Beach, keeping them scoreless in the second quarter and to just 1 point in each of the last two quarters. A late goal from St Peters cemented their win and though the Kangaroos remain on top, they are now only one game clear of the second and third teams. St Peters’ Alana Porter booted 2 goals and was named best on ground. Final Scores: St Peters 4.4 28 def. Brighton Beach 2.4 16

St Bedes/Mentone claimed their second win of the season, in an absolute thriller that saw them trailing for the first three quarters, only to storm home in the last and win by 12-points. Both teams struggled to create scoring opportunities for themselves in different quarters, with Beaumaris scoreless for the second and fourth, and the Tigers unable to impact the scoreboard in the third. Going into the last quarter, there was a 5-point difference, and the Tigers were able to increase their intensity, build some momentum and take control of the game to secure a win. Final Score: St Bedes/Mentone 4.7 31 def. Beaumaris 3.1 19

Prahran keep their spot at second on the ladder despite almost experiencing the upset of the round! Playing Port Melbourne, currently at the bottom of the pack, Prahran fans must have been in shock when the Colts kicked 3 straight in the first quarter and kept their opponents scoreless. Despite a couple of goals from Prahran in the second, the Colts still held a 15-point lead at the main break, and a 21-point advantage going into the final term. In an incredible display of determination and persistence, Prahran shut down the Colts, booting 4 goals and keeping Port Melbourne scoreless, a come from behind win to remember. Final Score: Prahran 8.12 60 def. Port Melbourne 7.9 51

Division 2:

The first half of the match between East Brighton and St Kilda City was incredibly close, with the Saints holding a 5-point lead at quarter time, and the Vampires in front by 5 at the main break, and 6 at three quarter time. It wasn’t until the last quarter when the Vampires began to break away and continually impact the scoreboard, slowing down the Saints who managed just a singular goal in the dying minutes. Sophia Ribbands lead East Brighton’s charge, booting three of six majors throughout the match, and despite the Vampires inaccuracy in front of goal, their plethora of scoring opportunities helped them get over the line in the end. Final Score: East Brighton 6.16 52 def. St Kilda City 5.5 35

Hampton Rovers were able to break away in the second half of their game after Oakleigh were unable to impact the scoreboard in the third quarter, allowing the Rovers to gain a 20-point advantage going into the final term. Though the Rovers only managed a single behind in the last, the Dragons were stuck playing catch up, and kicking just one goal wasn’t enough to put them in front. At the final siren, after a hard fought battle, the Dragons fell to the Rovers by 15-points, Hampton retaining their position at second on the ladder. Oakleigh JFC 2.2-14 def by Hampton Rovers AFC 4.5-29