Dear SMJFL Community,
Today is the beginning of my final week as Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the South Metro Junior Football League (SMJFL) after five wonderful years.
I am writing to not only express how proud I am of all the SMJFL has accomplished over the past five years, but to extend my thanks and gratitude to the entire SMJFL community on helping achieve this.
My time serving you all has been a privilege and honour. I have great faith in the foundations that have been laid and know the league is in excellent hands moving forward.
I wanted to share some of my personal highlights of my journey as CEO of the SMJFL.
- Melbourne South Facilities Strategies that have seen significant investment into facility upgrades for our member clubs.
- The establishment of the SMJFL Umpire Academy which is now the largest in the country.
- The establishment and partnership with the St Kilda Football club and SMJFL’s Interleague/NGA Academy that saw its first graduates be drafted into AFL clubs this year.
- The development of the Football4Fun program last year offered for free due to the impacts of COVID and lockdowns with over 228 teams registered.
- The success of our Corporate Partnership program that has seen the league grow revenue by over 400% which stemmed from our stance against junk food in sport sponsorship and Monash University being first to sign on.
- The Community Fund which has now seen over $160K of funding benefits to our member clubs in 2021 and further commitments in 2022.
- Returning the SMJFL to Moorabbin, moving our offices into the redevelopment of RSEA Park in 2018.
I am sure this week will be one of mixed feelings but filled with amazing memories and stories.
I would like to acknowledge and thank the SMJFL Board and all the staff for their support and trust in me over the years. I’d like to wish Cam Watts all the best as he steps up into the Interim CEO role until the recruitment process is completed and the new CEO commences.
Hoping you all have a safe and restful summer period and look forward to watching some SMJFL footy next April.