Posted in Featured News , Front Page News , Monday Monash Review

Melbourne threw all sorts of conditions at SMJFL teams on Sunday. Some played in bright sunshine, while other teams played in wind and rain. Winter has most definitely arrived!

Several teams remain undefeated in the top age groups after two rounds of revised competition. Here are all the results for the Round 8 Monday Monash Review, thanks to Monash University.

Under 18 Girls Division 1

East Malvern continue their dominance in Under 18 Division 1, moving to 2-0 after a 102-point thrashing of East Brighton Vampires. The Knights had ten individual goal kickers on the day, Abbi Moloney leading the way with three of her own.

St Peters also remain undefeated after they beat Beaumaris by 41 points at Beaumaris Secondary College. The visitors opened up a 20-point lead at the first break and held the Sharks at bay for the remainder of the afternoon. Alana Porter finished with three majors for St Peters.

Hampton and Ashwood played out a low-scoring arm wrestle at Boss James Reserve in torrid conditions for football. Both teams had 0.2 at three quarter time, but Ashwood had the better of the final term, eventually winning by two points. Sarah Morley was the hero for the Magpies, kicking their only goal of the afternoon.

Under 18 Girls Division 2

St Bedes/Mentone Tigers had a huge win to take its record to 2-0, thumping St Kilda City by 125 points at Peanut Farm. Chloe Saultry (five goals), Tia Pastore (four goals) and Chelsea Bowen (three goals) were the destroyers for the Tigers who finished with 19 goals for the afternoon.

Mordialloc Braeside made light work of St Pauls McKinnon at Gerry Green Reserve, winning by 63 points. It was a team effort from the Mustangs, who could have won by more if not for some inaccurate kicking (8.16). Zoe Parsons, Sarah Leitch and Rachael Dalach all kicked a couple of goals for the home side.

Prahran moved to 2-0 on Sunday with a convincing win over East Brighton Vampires. The home side extended their lead at every break to eventually run out 41-point victors. Prahran now sit second on the table behind St Bedes/Mentone Tigers.

Under 17 Boys Division 1

Mordialloc Braeside bounced to the top of the Under 17 Boys Division 1 table on Sunday with a 76-point win over East Sandringham Rovers. The Mustangs extended their lead at every change, with Kai Stretton, Jed Polglaze and Mitchell Morison kicking three goals each for the home side.

St Peters completed their second win in as many matches, accounting for Beaumaris by 61 points at Centenary Park. Both sides were level at quarter time, but St Peters then hit the accelerator, piling on 12 goals to two after quarter time to run away with the win. Dimitrios Adamopoulos kicked four goals for the winners.

Bentleigh made it two on the trot, overcoming Dingley by 21 points at Souter Reserve. Dingley had a one-point lead at half time but six goals to the Demons after the main break saw them take hold of the match. Jamie Lewis-Hanafin finished with four goals for the visitors as they now sit third on the ladder.

Under 17 Boys Division 2

Oakleigh Dragons were the biggest winner in Round 6, putting Dingley to the sword at W.A Scammell Reserve on Sunday. The Dragons kicked 20 goals for the afternoon to eventually take out a 128-point win. Jack Parisi kicked four goals, while Harry Boxshall and Ryan Shaw kicked three apiece.

St Kilda City made light work of Mordialloc Braeside, winning by 101 points at Peanut Farm. Sebastian Harris-Knipe led the way for City with five majors and was one of ten goal kickers for the afternoon as St Kilda City stay on top of the Division 2 ladder.

Waverley Park Hawks squared their season at 1-1 with a 59-point win over Murrumbeena. The first half saw an even contest between the two teams, but the Hawks’ six goals to none in the second half put the result to bed. Kyle Harris was the focal point for the visitors, kicking three goals.

Caulfield put in a strong showing at Koornang Park to defeat Cheltenham by 37 points. The win was set up with five second-quarter goals to the Bears, who maintained their lead throughout the second half. Luke Mazzeo kicked five goals for the home side and Oscar Fraser finished with three.