Posted in Featured News , Front Page News , Monday Monash Review

It couldn’t have been a better day for football on Sunday, as Melbourne turned on its best autumn weather for SMJFL juniors.

There were plenty of goals kicked and some big wins in the top grades, as we take a look through the results in our Round 4 Monday Review thanks to Monash University.

Under 18 Girls

East Malvern continued their excellent start to the season on Saturday, beating St Peters by 67 points to remain undefeated. Abbi Moloney kicked three goals for the Knights as they kept St Peters to just one goal for the day in an impressive defensive effort.

East Brighton Vampires (Angus) were big winners over St Paul’s McKinnon at McKinnon Reserve on Sunday. The Vampires skipped away to a 37-point lead at quarter time and couldn’t be stopped, with Alexandra Baker kicking six goals and Ella Williams kicking four. Elise March was the Demons’ best player.

St Bedes/Mentone Tigers put on a show against St Kilda City, chalking up a 98-point win. Seven second quarter goals proved the difference for the Tigers as they led by 69 points at half time. Tia Pastore had a day out, finishing with five goals to her name.

Mordialloc Braeside consigned East Brighton Vampires (Sherlock) to its fourth loss, with a 75-point win at Hurlingham Park. Ebony Angelopoulos was the Mustangs’ spearhead, kicking six goals as the visitors improved their record to 2-2.

Hampton Rovers were made to work hard for their win against Prahran at Toorak Park. Neither side was able to score in the first term, but the Rovers eventually got on top and held the home side scoreless to run out 28-point winners. Ali Coyne kicked a couple of majors in a low-scoring affair.

Beaumaris vs Ashwood was judged as a draw due to a player being injured early in the match and the game being abandoned.

Under 17 Boys Division 1

Bentleigh made it four on the bounce on Sunday as they beat Dingley by 63 points. Six goals opening quarter goals set the tone for the Demons, with Jamie Lewis-Hanafin and Riccardo Frezza finishing the game with three goals apiece.

Mordialloc Braeside fought off a determined St Bedes/Mento@Murrumne Tigers outfit at Heatheron Recreation Reserve. The Mustangs led by 19 points at half time but quickly turned that into a 51-point win in the second half as they kicked six goals to one to run away with the four points.

St Peters improved its record to 3-1 with a 61-point win over Waverley Park Hawks at Wellington Reserve. The Hawks were in the game early, trailing by just five points at quarter time, but St Peters found their groove to eventually pull away from their opposition. Shane Ho and Hanel Sawa kicked three goals each for the visitors.

East Sandringham Rovers won by 21 points over Beaumaris at Trevor Barker Oval, however the game was shortened due to a player being injured and needing to be treated on the ground.

Under 17 Boys Division 2

Murrumbeena were the biggest winners in Division 2, thumping Dingley by 86 points at Murrumbeena Park. The home side was relentless after quarter time, kicking 12 goals to Dingley’s one for the final three quarters to run away with a comfortable victory.

Caulfield Bears remain undefeated from their three outings as they downed Cheltenham by 26 points at Koornang Park. The Bears led at every change on their home ground, maintaining a consistent lead throughout the day. George Ganavas and Kai Baker-Hill kicked a couple or goals each for the home side.

St Kilda City was made to work hard for its win against Oakleigh Dragons, but eventually the Saints prevailed by 28 points at Peanut Farm. The Dragons had their chances in front of goal, but inaccurate kicking (2.10) hampered their efforts. Jordie Gray kicked his second haul of three majors in a row for the Saints as they sit atop the Division 2 ladder after four rounds.

Mordialloc Braeside had the bye.