AFL Victoria has presented an exciting opportunity to the SMJFL calling for Community Ambassadors to promote football in multicultural communities. Applications close March 1, 2020. Learn more about the program below and register here!
What is the program all about?
The AFL Community Ambassador Program aims to further engage under represented communities in Australian football through a group of dedicated volunteers. Community Ambassadors help support the AFL to connect with Multicultural Communities across Australia to help promote AFL activities as a vehicle for engagement and social inclusion.
Who can join?
Anyone can join the AFL Community Ambassador program. Applicants will be screened before being aligned to an AFL State Body. We strongly encourage respected members of the multicultural community, international student leaders, refugee advocates,
youth & female leaders to apply. Multicultural background is desirable but not essential. Ambassadors must be over the age of 18 years of age and have a valid Volunteer Working with Children or Vulnerable People check (or be willing to obtain one).
What do AFL Community Ambassadors do?
• Help promote football in Multicultural Communities
• Provide Cultural education and advice
• Assist local Community Football clubs
• Activate key Multicultural festivals and AFL match day experiences
• Get involved in Coaching and Umpiring pathways
• Contribute to positive community health outcomes by assisting your community to engage in sport and the wider society, providing a sense of pride and achievement from making a valuable contribution to the community
Benefits of being a Community Ambassador
• Professional development programs to improve your employability skills and credential
• Help develop community programs by providing direction and ideas for the ongoing growth of AFL Multicultural and Indigenous programs
• Access to an exclusive AFL Community ambassador apparel and other AFL offers
Rewards & recognition
Each year the AFL recognises one Community Ambassador for outstanding achievements and commitment to the program.
The winner of the AFL Community Ambassador of the Year award receives:
• 2x tickets and an AFL Grand Final Experience at the Toyota AFL Grand Final
• 2x return flights (except Victoria) & accommodation for 3 nights (Thurs – Sat) in Melbourne for Grand Final weekend
• The opportunity to walk in the Toyota AFL Grand Final Parade
• The program begins on the 1st March and concludes on the 31st October
• Ambassadors must be available to contribute for the duration of the program
Sign up here!