2017 In Review – Ormond JFC
Our club by club review of 2017 South Metro Junior Football League (SMJFL) season continues with Ormond next under the microscope.
- An 11% increase in player registrations to 403 registered boys and girls
- 18 teams fielded in 2017
- Significant growth in female numbers from 14 to 48 registered players, with the club set to field girls teams in all age-groups in 2018
- Another successful year for Ormond Blues Auskick and Fair Go Footy (children with special needs)
- On The Field
- Multiple teams in finals as well as a successful Lightning Carnival campaign for the Under 10’s
- Four players placed in SMJFL League Best & Fairest awards with Sacha Levine third (Under 11’s) and Ben Antonis (Under 12) & Sam O’Connor (Under 16) first-placed, while Matthew Harms finished as runner-up in Under 14’s Div 1 (Pool B) Interleague
- Other Achievements/Highlights
- Two past-players drafted to AFL clubs with Jack Higgins to Richmond and Joel Amartey to Sydney
- Ormond acknowledged as the no.1 ranked club in the SMJFL for club behaviour
- The introduction and launch of a new coaching structure which emphasises culture and player development, and the creation and piloting of the Ormond Development Model
- Annual ‘State of Origin’ friendly matches against clubs from Western Australia
If you, a friend or your club has a story worth sharing, drop a line to firstname.lastname@example.org to have your voice heard!